Beef and Red Wine Casserole
Prep Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 1.45 hours
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 400g lean round steak beef, cubed
- 1 Tbsp plain white flour
- 400g can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup red wine,
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 300g button mushrooms, halved
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil. Add onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Place meat and flour in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Reheat frying pan over high heat. Spray with oil. Add meat and brown in 2 separate batches for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Reheat frying pan over medium heat. Add tomatoes, wine, stock, thyme and mushrooms. Bring to the boil and taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to casserole dish.
- Cover and cook in oven for 1½ hours or until meat is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into serving bowls and serve immediately.
During Trimsition and Body Trimming phases add 1 serve of starchy carbohydrates per person.