Happy Easter Protein Balls Recipe
Prep time: 1 hour +
Cook time: Nil
Makes: 14 balls (1 ball per snack), or 28 smaller balls (2 balls per snack)
1 cup almond meal/ground almonds
1 cup coconut, desiccated
2 serves* vanilla protein powder (choose a high protein, low carb powder such as Aussie Bodies Perfect Protein or 100% Whey)
1 Tbsp LSA (ground linseed, sunflower and almond)
½ tsp of each: cinnamon & mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 Tbsp mixed dried fruit i.e. currants, sultanas etc
1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 orange, zest and juice
1 Tbsp honey
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp tahini
For the crosses (optional, but gives a nice Easter touch)
½ serve of vanilla flavoured protein powder mixed with a little liquid coconut oil.
*1 serve of high protein, low carb powder generally contains 20- 25g of protein and minimal carbohydrates. Note- Bodytrim meal replacement shake powder is not high protein, low carb.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and whizz until well combined. The mixture should easily stick together without being too wet.
- Shape into 14 balls and refrigerate for an hour.
- To make the crosses: In a small bowl place the protein powder and gradually add coconut oil, mixing to combine. Consistency should be pour- able but not too runny!
- Remove balls from the fridge and with a teaspoon carefully pour crosses over each ball.
- Return balls to refrigerator so that the crosses can set.
- Store balls in an air tight container in the fridge.