Home Forums Eat Fruit

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BT Nutritionist 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Paolo
    Participant

Is fruit classed as 1 serving of starchy carb when having your balanced meal? it’s not too clear on when you can have fruit or am I just not reading correctly ?.
    I’m used to following the old BT diet which allowed you to have 1 serving of either fruit or grains as starchy carb for breakfast.

Thanks

Paolo

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Paolo,

Most fruits are considered non-starchy (or low starchy) carbohydrates, so for any meals that call for a serve of non- starchy carbohydrates you could instead opt for a piece of fruit if you wish (except during the FAST Start phase where we don’t recommend fruit). Also note that we don’t recommend more than 3 bananas and 2 serves of dried apricots in a week.

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

Paolo
    Participant

Excellent!! I used to hate choosing between either a fruit or grainy carb.now I can have both ?

Thanks

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Paolo,

For the breakfast meal you should be having 2 serves of protein and 1 serve of either starchy or non- starchy carbs (which could be fruit or grain- or you could have a half serve of each!).

For your lunch and breakfast meals you have 1 serve of protein, 2 serves of non- starchy carbs and one serve of starchy carbs.

Overall we wouldn’t recommend having more than two serves of fruit a day, so pick your meals and for the rest of your non- starchy carb serves choose lots of vegetables!

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionsit 🙂

Paolo
    Participant

Ok got it. ?

Thanks again

Regards

Paolo

Michael
    Participant

What types of fruit are we allowed to have and how much of each?

Like for instance, am I allowed to have 1 cup of berries, 1 cup of veg and 1 starchy serving with my protein since fruit is considered a non-starchy carb?

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

For your protein snacks we recommend only pairing these up with non- starchy vegetables (not fruit).
    For meals where we say to have non- starchy carbohydrates you could choose either fruits or vegetables- however try not to have more than two serves of fruit a day.
    You can find the recommended serving sizes for fruits in the ‘My Food Guides’ section under ‘Carbohydrates- Non starchy’.

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.