Home Forums Eat Protein powder/smoothie

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rose 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Rose
    Participant

Hi there

I’ve been following this smoothie recipe from another post here (thanks!).
    1/2 cup yoghurt = 1 protein serve
    1/2 cup milk = 1/2 protein serve
    1/2 cup berries = 1 non- starchy carb serve
    1/2 banana = 1/2 starchy carb serve

A while ago, before starting BT I bought some Luxe Protein Powder. What I am wondering is, as it is delicious and also expensive, I’d like to use it up so it doesn’t go to waste. Could I substitute it for one or two things in the above recipe?

Thanks, Rose

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Rose,

Was this the post below?

“The breakfast meal is 2 serves of protein and 1 serve of starchy or non- starchy carbs. Here are a few other options you could try: Yoghurt smoothie: 1 cup milk + 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt (protein); 1/2 cup berries or 1 small banana (starchy or non- starchy carbs)….”

We would suggest substituting a serve of the protein powder for the ½ cup of yoghurt and you’re good to go!

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

Rose
    Participant

Yes, that was the post. Thanks for the advice re protein powder, excellent! 🙂

Rose
      Participant

HI again,

I am loving the smoothie as a quick breakfast that I can take to work, it’s so nice and easy.
      But, I’m still struggling with the milk – I don’t normally have milk as I don’t think it agrees with me well.
      I asked a while ago re almond milk etc so I know I can’t change to that, but is there any thing else that I could substitute for the milk please? Even if I change the amounts of the other ingredients?
      My current recipe is:
      1 scoop protein Luxe Protein powder = 1 protein serve
      1/2 cup milk = 1/2 protein serve
      1/2 cup berries = 1 non- starchy carb serve
      1/2 banana = 1/2 starchy carb serve

Thanks heaps for your help,
      Rose

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Rose,

When you say you struggle with milk this would be cow’s milk in particular? And by struggle do you mean you suffer from digestive issues after consuming? It may be that you are sensitive to the lactose… How did you find the initial 3 days of Bodytrim shakes? These will have been a lot higher in lactose content compared to the shake you are now consuming.

Have you tried using 1/2 a cup of soy milk instead of the dairy? Soy milk is the most similar nutrition- wise to cow’s milk so could be a great alternative protein source.
    Another thing you could try instead of milk could be to use a yoghurt such as the ‘De Winkel Natural Plain & Unsweetened Acidophilus’ yoghurt- this one is a good source of protein but also very low in carbohydrates and sugars which means a lower lactose content compared to dairy milk. If this made your smoothie too thick you could always add a little water to get a nicer consistency.

Your Luxe protein powder may be a dairy derived protein (does it state ‘whey’ in the ingredients list)? This could also be contributing lactose. See how you go with the above suggestions and if it’s still not feeling quite right perhaps you could try swapping the whey protein powder for a plant based one that will have no lactose.

Let us know how you go 🙂

Kindest Regards,

BT Nutritionist.

Rose
    Participant

Hi, thanks heaps for this.

I noticed a while ago that too much milk made my stomach bloat, and sometimes a bit sore.
    But I’ve had no problems any of the times I’ve done the BT shakes, nor from my whey protein powder which I’ve also used for ages.
    So, initially I also thought I was intolerant to lactose, but it actually only seems to be cows milk?

I’ll definitely try the soy milk! I have avoided this in the past as I really don’t like the taste of soy, however I think the taste will be hidden enough in this smoothie to make it worth a try! I am in Hong Kong for a while so finding that yoghurt could be a challenge, but the milk will be easy to get.

Thanks so much! 🙂
    Rose

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.