Home Forums Eat Protien Snack Size confusion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BT Nutritionist 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Melinda
    Participant

I dont understand 'protein snack'

I am confused about the protein snack size. When I read the post (link above) in one answer it says that a snack would be one serve of lets say cashews. A serve size of cashews on the food guide is about 8 nuts. Then further down it says that a protein snack serve size would be 100g same as a meal size??? Exactly what size should I be having??

Also if anyone would like to share their favorite ideas for protein snacks that would be great

Donna
    Participant

For the sake of simplicity I have always used either a small protein bar or a hard boiled egg. I’m not really a fan of nuts so I’m not sure what a serving size would look like.

Lisa
    Participant

Regarding serving sizes for nuts. What is the serving size for macadamia nuts? Is it the same as cashews – 8?

Melinda
    Participant

Hi Lisa
    This is just what I read in the MyBodytrim Food Guide. Macadamia nuts were not listed there. Perhaps they are too high in fat or oil??

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa and Melinda,

Macadamia nuts are a little higher in energy, similar to walnuts so we would recommend a serve size of 5 nuts. The food servings guide is not an exhaustive list but we will try to update as more foods are enquired about.

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Melinda, apologies- your first message was hidden from view so was not seen until now, it is a really good question though;

-I am confused about the protein snack size. When I read the post (link above) in one answer it says that a snack would be one serve of lets say cashews. A serve size of cashews on the food guide is about 8 nuts. Then further down it says that a protein snack serve size would be 100g same as a meal size??? Exactly what size should I be having??-

The serving sizes for different sources of protein will differ, for foods like nuts and seeds, these are a lot more energy dense (have a higher calorie content for a smaller amount of food), so we recommend a different serving size as what we do for something like meat (100- 150g) which is not as energy dense. If you were to eat a serve size of 100g of nuts on a regular basis you may find yourself putting on weight due to this higher energy content.

Does this make sense?

Take a look at the ‘Food Servings Guide’ PDF down the bottom of the ‘My Food Guides’ section, and the serving sizes for the different types of foods are listed here.

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

Melinda
    Participant

Thankyou for the reply.

So basically a serving size of a protien on the food guide would be a protien snack?

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Melinda,

Yes this is correct.

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.