Home Forums Move Tips to making 10,000 steps

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  BT Nutritionist 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Team BT
    Keymaster

Share your tips for reaching your daily 10,000 steps

Julia
    Participant

A walk in the garden before breakfast, maybe with a water bottle or cup of tea in hand. Take some photos as you wander around.

Take photos of your neighbourhood, such as flowers, interesting shots of buildings, unusual cars.

Window shopping – leave your credit cards at home.

Walk to meet a friend half way between your houses.

Walk in your local park or on the beach and say hello to people – a lot of people walk at the same time every day and you get to know them and see them every day. They will ask you how you are if you miss a day!

Dog walking.

Up and down a flight of steps.

Do jogging on the spot or squats whilst waiting for the kettle to boil.

Stand up whilst waiting to see the doctor.

Hang out washing one item at a time – take out one item only from the house at a time.

A pedometer can be motivating.

Play with your pets and children.

Housework.

Tidy things up one item at a time.

Painting a room.

Gardening.

Washing your car.

Walk around whilst on the phone or playing a musical instrument.

Put on some dance music and dance.

Put on some song music and walk and sing to it.

Stand on one leg – uses core strength and isn’t strenuous.

Go to your local gym and ask them to design you a programme.

See if your local town has a Saturday “Parkrun” event to join.

Walk around your library.

Visit Open Gardens.

Local Bush-walking groups.

Join any charity walks you can – google Running/Walking events

Visit the zoo, an art gallery, a museum,

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

These are all great tips Julia!

BT Nutritionist.

Julia
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

I go to the gym EVERY DAY except Sunday since it is closed. If I miss one day, it is hard to then go the next day. It is a routine for me and that makes it easy. Get up, breakfast, gym, coffee (sometimes coffee then gym). By going at a similar time every day I see the same people, have a bit of a chat, check on each other’s progress, and “admonish” each other if we have skipped a day. It’s a sort of informal support group, and everyone there around you is there because they want to be and are exercising.

Jackie
    Participant

Im still working on reaching 10000 steps a day but one way I help increase it, especially when its a work day ( I work in an office so a lot of sitting time), is by getting up and walking to the printer after each document I print rather than waiting til it is all done. This can honestly get me between 200-300 extra steps whilst at work.

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Jackie,

It’s tricky when working in an office environment isn’t it? This really is a brilliant idea though!

Kind Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

Maureen
    Participant

I walk an average of 5kms a day. My fitness plus tells me it is only around 6000 steps. would this be correct?

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Maureen,

This sounds about right. 1 km is roughly 1,250 steps.
    10,000 steps therefore would be approximately 8km.

Kindest Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

Mandeep
    Participant

Great tips thanks for it but I am a registered nurse so my shifts keep changing to morning afternoon and nights so my excercise plans dropped every time I think to start like after nights get tired and go back home and sleep. Suggest me some ideas.
    Thanks

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Mandep,

On the days where it is difficult to factor in a good 30 minutes or so worth of exercise in one go we would suggest trying to incorporate as much exercise as possible into your day by doing little bits here and there.
    Little things like taking the stairs at work instead of the lift, getting some fresh air and going for a quick walk during your break, walking the long way to the lunch room instead of the direct route or parking your car a little further away so you get a decent walk at the beginning and end of your shift.

Kindest Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.