Home Forums Move Trimsition as a gym instructor??

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gillianf 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

gillianf
    Participant

Hi! I started the fast start phase last week when I was off for 10 days due to a cortisone injection in the shoulder. I’m back to work teaching 7 classes a week from next week teaching high intensity MMA classes. What do I do when the absolute STARVATION hits next week? Are there any tips on what to do in these instances? Clearly, I can’t quit the classes and just drop back to the low intensity walking I was doing these last 10 days. I just know how absolutely famished I am on the days I’m teaching. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!

On another note, the meals that I’ve been having are quite high carb, low protein (100g steak, 2 cups cauliflower and broccoli, one cup butternut). Should I be upping my protein intake somehow? I’m sooo used to the low-carb/high protein meal plans :/ Again, any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA, Gillian

dale.tony.perkins
    Participant

Hi Gillian

I work out (isolated muscle groups 5 days a week) and I had the same concern that you did. Here are some things that helped me :

1. Meal Prep : It’s super easy to just grab a meal out of the fridge or freezer when you want it. Having a meal prepared takes your mind off “what will I have for lunch” and so I didn’t really think about “what” I would eat, but I would still think about “when” I Would eat haha.

2. Carbohydrates Vs Proteins – MMA is intense and you are going to feel exhausted if you don’t eat enough carbs. However, as you know, if you are eating too many carbs your body will start storing fat instead of burning the reserves that usually around our tummy. I don’t have an easy answer for you here other than asking you what you want from your diet? are you trying to lose weight? or is this more of a lifestyle change for you? depending on your goal you might want to adjust your diet as you go. start low carb and then slowly incorporate more carbs if you feel exhausted. Always have your “end goal” in mind, instead of the impulsive feelings you might have threw out the day.

3. Regular Snacking – I don’t know what your schedule is like, but if possible, you can snack on appropriate foods to help you feel less hungry. e.g. I love snacking on some celery sticks with cottage cheese. High protein and low carbs and if I’m more hungry, I just eat more celery. DON’T SNACK TOO REGULARLY. if you’re going to the fridge every fifteen minutes this is a problem. Also, obviously snacking on a back of red frogs or killer pythons isn’t going to be a useful habit either, so be mindful of what you snack on.

4. Sleep well – Fairly obvious one, your doing intensive cardiovascular exercise so you need to rest up to keep yourself in good health.

I was a little confused about some of the comments you made in your post, would you mind clearing a few things up with me? You said you are used to eating a low carb, high protein diet, and that you found the bodytrim program to be a higher carb diet than what you were used to? did I read this correctly?

I hope this helps
    Dale Perkins

gillianf
    Participant

Hi Dale,

Thanks for all those tips! I guess I’m just used to tracking calories burnt during classes vs amount I’m eating, and then keeping track of carbs vs proteins on certain days, as I was carb-cycling. My schedule has changed a bit and I definitely found myself really weak and drained mid-way through the week, even when cycling.

1. Meal Prep : Yep – definitely been super on the ball with this when I finished trimsition yesterday. Poached chicken breast and got little tuna tins, etc. and we have CHOOKS so I always have eggs on hand hehe

2. Carbohydrates Vs Proteins: After years of teaching/training, my body has started to plateau and I felt I needed a kick start when I was rehabilitating shoulder, hence BodyTrim. The idea is to lose weight/body fat, yes.

3. Regular Snacking: today was first day back and I thought I’d be needing morning tea (after a shake for breakfast before class). I was busy with errands, so then found it was lunch time, and so, I have not needed to snack on anything just yet. it’s nice to know that I have them protein balls waiting for me should I need them! I’m teaching again tonight and I always have that afternoon slump before, so will definitely be doing an arvo snack before then. I’ve been loving the celery with Hummus and have stocked up on cottage cheese too 🙂

4. Sleep well: I’ve been doing WELL on this front! Who knows if it’s the fact I’ve been crazy busy or…? Evening classes make it harder to settle, but I’ll see how I go tonight.

I was a little confused about some of the comments you made in your post, would you mind clearing a few things up with me? You said you are used to eating a low carb, high protein diet, and that you found the bodytrim program to be a higher carb diet than what you were used to? did I read this correctly?

Yep. I was used to having heaps more protein. Eating 100-150g at dinner was a huge change for me during trimsition, but I’m putting that down to that “phase” of the plan. I’m sure this week will be much different as I’m allowed three balance meals a day now 🙂

Thanks again for all the help!

BT Nutritionist
    Keymaster

Hi Gillian,

It sounds like you are a very active individual. The Bodytrim program has been designed more for those who are somewhat a little less intensely active. We understand that very high intensity exercise does tend to make us ravenous which is why we have recommended low intensity exercise for the Bodytrim program as we feel it is more in- line with weight loss.

We do realise you can hardly quit your job so a few tips to help you out:

– Make sure you spread your protein intake throughout the day, having a source of protein with each meal and high protein snacks in between to keep you going throughout the day.
    – Non- starchy vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum, celery, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, mushroom, tomato are all low calorie, lower carbohydrate but highly nutrient dense foods. Use these types of foods to make up the bulk of your meals and also as additional snacks if needed.
    – Legumes and are not only a great source of protein, they also provide dietary fibre and low GI carbohydrates (a slow and steady source of energy), meaning they help to keep you feeling satiated for longer. Try incorporating some of these into your daily diet. Similarly, wholegrains will provide a healthy combination of low GI carbohydrates, dietary fibre and a source of protein which will keep you going for longer.
    – Because you are doing very regular high intensity exercise you will have a higher energy requirement so you are likely to find that you’ll need to slightly increase your serving sizes for meals and snacks (or insert an extra snack or two into your day).

In terms of whether or not you need more protein, those who are very active do definitely have a higher protein requirement and up to 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight per day is recommended for those who are very active (this would therefore be 140g of protein a day for a 70kg individual)- note that this is grams of protein not grams of food… a 100g steak would have 30g of protein for example. Too much protein is not necessarily ideal either as if you consume more than your body requires this can be broken down and converted to fat stores, so keep this in mind and perhaps increase your protein intake gradually.

High intensity exercise will make you hungry and when this is combined with a reduced calorie diet focused at weight loss this will only increase your hunger levels further. The trick will be to find your balance, with a high enough energy intake to keep you fuelled but not so high as to be contributing to weight gain.

In short we agree that you will need to increase your serving sizes to match your higher energy output. Our main energy contributing nutrients are protein, carbohydrates and fats. Choose lean sources of protein and a mix of both plant and animal derived. Opt for slow release low GI carbohydrates over highly processed and refined fast absorbing carbohydrates and choose healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocados etc). We would suggest doing this gradually to find your balance.

Kindest Regards,

BT Nutritionist 🙂

gillianf
    Participant

Thanks very much!I love what the FastStart and Trimsition did for me…I’ll find a balance with this next phase and add more *good* carbs and proteins on the days I’m working harder…! Those protein balls are a GODSEND! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.